Electives (60 credit hours)
- Applied Area Credit Hours: 9
- Free Electives Credit Hours: 12
- Humanities Elective (HU) 3000-level or higher recommended Credit Hours: 3
- Restricted Electives (COM) Credit Hours: 3
- Restricted Electives (MTH) Credit Hours: 6
- Social Science Credit Hours: 3
- Technical Electives Credit Hours: 24
Positioning of electives is unrestricted. At least 30 elective credits must be at the 3000 level or higher. Choices of electives are subject to approval by the student’s advisor. Mathematics electives must include at least one proof-based course in addition to the required courses in linear algebra and analysis.
Applied area electives must be taken from a single area of application. Typically, this means from a single department or program other than mathematics. Any science or engineering program can be chosen. Suitably chosen management courses (courses with mathematics prerequisites) can also be taken.
Note: Upper-division mathematics courses may be offered in alternate years.